Friday, March 14, 2008

Deload Deadlift, or was it 600 pounds?....

Deload Week
Max Effort Deadlift
Deadlift 135x3, 225x3, 315x3, 365x3, 405x13, 455x2, 505x1, 530x1, 555x1, 575x1, 600xMiss, 600x1
Nothing Else Done - Its Deload Baby...

Todays Episode of Powerlifting Etc has our fearless hero venturing yet again into the eye of the spandex hurricane known as Golds gym...Being a Deload, anything goes, lift heavy with no accessory work, okee dokee. Go with accessory work only and no heavy lifting, no problem Melvin.

Today I chose the "Hokey" Deadlift, I say hokey because the plates are hexagonal, so we had to place them on these riser-mat thingies to get them to float a bit. Coincidentally this also put the bar at the normal height for a deadlift, but all in all the set up was weird...I dont like hex Plates, they may look good in a Jazzercise Video or something, but not in Powerlifting

So I worked up, having no intention of going to 600. I actually planned on tripling 550 or something similar...but everything was fast today, so I figured what the hell. Maybe I have enough speed to get 600 to lockout...The first miss at 600 was totally psychological and due to some fucking nimrod walking over to perform a set of standing, arms extended to the side, at shoulder height bicep curls on the cable machine that was in front of us. I was not happy.

I intentionally waited for his buddy to finish this gun pumping movement before approaching the bar, this seemed obvious to the others that were there as everyone kinda looked at this idiot like "What the fuck?" To boot, these two knuckleheads had 14 inch guns at best, which is no surprise if your performing 6 movements of biceps, 6 movemetns of Triceps, all for 3 sets of 10 reps...Hint: This is not the way to big guns if anyone wants to know how I went from 14.5 to 16.5 in 12 weeks a few years ago, email here: Powerliftingetc@yahoo.com

Like Powerlifting its not rocket science....

Btw, Guns are overrated, they just make finding proper fitting shirts a hassle...
and as far as that goes, so does a big ass from squatting. Currently none of my pants fit properly. Guess thats one of the side effects that should be listed on the side of those Powerlifting Kool Aid packs they're selling out in Ohio (Cheesy Elitefts reference)...Alright, enough, that was just plain stupid....

Anyway, so yeah, I missed 600 and almost pussed out. Troy and Tom started unloading the bar when I stopped them and asked them to reload the damn thing. I was not gonna miss 600 today. So I rechalked, gathered myself, tightened the belt and went to the bar. This sucker flew to just about lockout when it slowed a bit, but eventually locked out...finally, 600 was mine, albeit a hokey 600. Just to be sure I was pulling from the proper height, I stood in front of the bar and drew on my leg where the bar was, guess what, its in the books....The weight of the bar had loaded the mat-thingies down to the proper height. That's fate I tell you.

Oh yeah did I mention, my body weight is down to 219lbs? I guess those kettlebell thingies really do strip the fat off you, highly recommended. Click the banner below and check them out, cheapest I could find, so I partnered with them...


Enough of this long winded post, I thought I would like to share part of my deload week with you, god I love Powerlifting.




Keep it Dark, Keep it Heavy!!!

5 comments:

Read This said...

Where do you compete? What Feds? Best lifts? Interesting blog, but I didn't see any of the pedigree information...not that it is needed, but just asking.

Powerlifter1974 said...

Last time I competed was around 1 year ago, bench only in a single ply piece-o-crap Inzer EPHEDPHEPDHP off eBay something or other...Still hit 450 though. 222 lbs no juice, (though juice is delicious, just cant due to work. Often wonder what would happen is I was allowed?....) just training in the basement.

Before that I hit 475 in deadlift with a groin pull in Me. years ago, different lifter now obviously...Re-Injured my groin.... They wiped the mat down before I pulled :(. Thanks Al Stork...

New Hampshire dont host many Full Power meets. Though this year appears to be different, so look out...


Can you tell i like periods? I am cone with kids!

Powerlifter1974 said...

Dunno what cone with kids meant but....

drug free, semi RAW lifter (I Guess), and I like juice (Orange Juice Preferrably.)...


Not Kids...Thoug I Have 2 Kids...

Anti-Cone Kids sionce 2008...

Powerlifter1974 said...

Cuckoo....Cuckoo...

Read This said...

I compete USAPL, and NASA. I like the atmosphere in NASA lately. I live in Michigan, but like most folks have to travel to find a decent meet.