Thursday, September 14, 2006

09/13 The Big Three....Sort of...

Former Blogger Rick came over last night for a ME sort of session. I dont think either of us were quite feeling up to the task but shit happens. We Worked up to singles in the (Shirted) BP, DL and SSB High Box Squat (15").
The Bench press was up first. Neither of us have much experience in shirt work, i believe the correct term would be that We Suck, but with any luck we can get into these more often and figure out how they work. I wll say it was nice to have a lift of for the Bench, took some unnecessary stress off the shoulders. I worked up to a single at 315 RAW then squeezed unto my shirt, a Rage ( not the "x", maybe later). the first one i took was 330, hit that no problem, the second 365 again was no problem. Since i had someone there i decided to give it a go at 385. Off the chest i was fast but stalled around the 2 board range. At that point it felt like the shirt was fighting against me and i hit a brick wall. Not aure what the deal is as i just hit 405 in the 2 board last week, then again maybe that is it and my CNS just wasnt having it that night. Regardless, this seems to be a recurring theme with this shirt thing, so i will have to read a bunch more and work the shirt more. Enough about bench.
Next up was the Deadlift. As any of you who have read my blog knows, i pulled a groin both before and during my last meet. The result has been poor speed off the ground. The shit part is this use to be my best part of this lift. Oh well, after warming up the bar got loaded to 405, i went with a single on this one and thought i was in trouble, the shit moved way to slow to lockout. i stayed the course and went to 455 for my second work set, again slow as all hell....fuck.....what was gonna be my final attempt was 505, i hit that surprisingly well, although slow like molasses, but all in all it felt fairly strong. I took a few minutes rest then put 525, this by the way was gonna be my final attempt at my last meet had i not pulled my groin on the first attempt,. Well, anyway, i pulled the sucker to just sbove the knees and hit the wall, i ended up getting it to lockout but this would most defnitely have been redlighted, although i did see a chick hitch worse than this at a meet and get the state record, go figure....
Originally we had only planned on doing push/pull but Rick has never tried a Saftey Squat Bar and was a bit curious. Probably after having heard me rant about it on my blog. I ended up working up to a very ugly 435 from the 15" box, Quite happy as the week before i hit 425.... up out of the hole i lost my concentration as i remembered i had my DL'ing shoes on and not my chucks, i was very lucky i didnt hurt my back, but who cares, 435lbs fell....
All in all it was a good seesion. It was kind of nice to lift with someone after not having done so for over 7 years (bear in mind i had a 6 year hiatus from the iron). The other thing i realized is it has now been 1 year since i started powerlifting again, damned that flew....i am honestly quit happy with my progress so far and and cant to see where i am in another year, a master's or Elite total in the 198 would be nice....time will tell...until next time, Keep it Dark, Keep it Heavy!!!!

Oh yeah, if anybody is interested, Rick and Myself have started a forum at the following address:

http://nebarbell.proboards56.com/index.cgi

2 comments:

Powerlifter1974 said...

Thanks for stopping by Stinn, i was happy with what i got all things considering, with speed from the floor the 525 would have locked out easily.....in time i guess, now i gotta deal with my friggin shoulder (right side) i think i f'd it up the other day throwing a football with my kid, i guess i thought i was Tom Brady (Pats Quaterback for any non-footballers)or something, i may have aggravaed it a bit, gonna keep an eye on it....funny how life gets in the way of lifting sometimes....again, thanks for the kind words....

Tig5165 said...

yeah take your time with the bench shirt...you will get it....it will take some getting use to...