Friday, February 02, 2007

02/02/07 DE Squat....Time for Change?

SSB DE Box Squats 225x8x3
Conventional DL 405x3, 425x3, 455x3, 505x3PR
10 Min EDT PR Zone
Mini Band Leg Curls x5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5
SSB Calf Raises 245x5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5

Well I think it may be time to swap my dead lifting style.....but more on that in a bit. It was cold as hell in the basement, the inside temps have caught up to the outside temps as previously stated. This happens every year with this house, it will stay fairly warm for about 2 months into winter then Bam!!! Cold as Balls.

Decided to do my Speed work with the Safety Squat Bar and No Belt, surprisingly these were fast as hell. I went with 50% of my SSB Max and will up the percent to 55% next week. Again, these felt about as fast as regular bar speed work. By the end of these (30 sec rest between sets) my lower back was tight as hell and took a good 5 minutes to settle down when finished....all worth it I figure....onto DL's

Now I havent pulled heavy conventional Deadlifts in god knows how long. I always thought the sumo was easier and that I was better suited for it. But the more I do sumo, the more I have found that if the technique is off by just an inch, you will struggle with what should be an easier weight. Plus I am finding that my back seems to be a strong point on this stumpy ass frame of mine. Add to this that last week when, for shits and giggles, I did some speed pulls with a Conventional style, it was fast as hell. I think I may have mentioned that in my post....I thought I was on to something...and I guess I was.....

The 405 was easy as it was supposed to be, the 425 I figured to be my barometer for how this would pan out, well that flew too....Hmm....onto 455 I guess. This too flew up and seemed easier than I anticipated, what is going on here? The DL style I dismissed early on in my training is outperforming my old trusty Sumo Deadlift?

Load the bar to 505 maestro!!! (Turns out Im the Maestro in this case)....The first two were pretty fast to lockout, surprised the hell out of me, on the third my grip started to fail but held up long enough for lock out....I was pretty friggin psyched to say the least, hopefully this wasnt a first time romance and next time it all goes south. Stayed tuned to find out....All sets perfromed with complete stop at bottom, no bouncing, not that my floor would give much rebound, but figured I would throw that in. I have never pulled 505 Sumo, and cant say I've tried it, but I marked this a PR.

Next up was EDT....This was pretty anti-climactic to say the least. I tossed in SSB Calf raises as I neglect this area of my body as much as I do forearms...I've always considered these area to be non-value added in the world of Powerlifting, but tonight, and the next three weeks I will curb my Dogma....

Thanks to all for tuning in, so from my frozen ice-box to yours....Keep it Dark, Keep it Heavy!!!!



3 comments:

Huzz said...

Nice work Chris. I am glad to see you are working on those lower legs, but what happened to your Ab work?

Looking forward to seeing how your conventional DL goes.

Powerlifter1974 said...

hey smart ass, leave my abs out of this...I'll be hittin those with an 18 pack of Carling Black Label tonight and some General Gaos chicken....Cheap Beer Rules!!!

John said...

Nice job on the conventional pulling, Chris...
I pulled sumo at the June '06 meet(to spare my lower back) but switched to conventional last meet with good results (a PR).
Also, we short and stumpy folk aren't meant to be great deadlifters so feel good that your DL outstrips your squat.