Friday, October 12, 2007

10/11/07 Max Effort Squat/Deadlift

Low Box Squat w/ Champion Suit Bottoms 275x5, 330x3, 385x2, 440x1, 505x3, 525x1.5 Mental Miss, 525x2x3
Band Assisted Deadlift 455x3, 505x3, 525x3, 570x3


Just two movements this night, but man, I am beat. The powerlifting would be proud. Despite sore knees (gonna cut down on all this hiking), and a severe miss at 525 initially, I smoked 525 for 2 sets of 3 to blow away my volume from the previous two weeks. The miss was a result of my losing concentration due to outside interference. But, I recuperated, came back and hit what I intended to do so I was happy.

Band Assisted Deadlift was a new movement to me. Out of sheer laziness I have never really thrown these in. Troy wanted to give them as he used to do these with Greg Panora up in Bangor Me back in the day, and Greg aint no slouch!! Worked up to 570 for a triple, it is quite evident I must invest in more weight If I plan to continue down this path....Man, was I beat after those.

Well folks, its Q&A Time here at Powerlifting Etc so here goes.

Brent from Iowa asks...


Q: What would you recommend for a Max Effort Squat routine? I dont have any specialty bars & only have access to high & low boxes.



Powerlifting Etc Answers...

A: Hey Brent, no problem, I was once in that predicament so I feel your pain. Check out a 2 month Cycle you can easily perform below:

Wk 1: High Box
Wk 2: High Box
Wk 3: High Box
Wk 4: Deload with Submaximal Free Squats (70% of RAW Max)
Wk 5: Low Box
Wk 6: Low Box
Wk 7: Low Box
Wk 8: Deload with Submaximal Free Squats (70% of RAW Max)

A couple of cool, cheap ways to get in more variety would be to get either a Manta Ray, or the Sting Ray. Though I would recommend the Manta Ray first, seems to translate to the regular squat better. When I first started putting together my home gym, the Manta Ray was one of the first accessories I bought to get variation. Add this to the above and you can easily have a basic 16 week cycle. Hope this helps....Until next time...





My Mind During the Miss...
Powerlifting

Keep it Dark, Keep it Heavy!!!

No comments: