Monday, September 10, 2007

09/10/07 ME Squat - NFL Opening Day

High Box Squats w/Average Bands 135x3, 225x3, 275x3, 315x3, 365x2, 405x2, 435x3x2
Romanian Deadlifts 275x10, 295x10, 315x10
Monster Mini Leg Curls 3x15,15,12
Spread Eagle Sit-Ups 3x12, 10,10

Wanna talk about unmotivated? I spent the day on the couch (or on the floor wrestling with my son) watch football. My Patriots whooped up on the Jets in good fashion, and Randy Moss proved he is not washed up as all the media insinuated. But all this lazing around made it tough to switch gears for a heavy day of powerlifting. So I slugged down some coffee and summoned the powerlifting gods to give me the strength to move on, at least the caffeine answered...

Everything felt heavy and slow, hell the 135 gave me issues if I remember right. Last week I doubled 455 and probably c ould have this week, but I would have been done after that. So I decided to work up to 435 and hit it for three doubles and beat last weeks work in volume. As I said, nothing felt good, my form felt off, the weight felt heavy, and speed was nowhere to be found. Oh well, no where to go but up right? Next week should get better, plus my legs were still sore from a hella-hike up a mountain I did on friday, I suspect this played a role in my "feeling weak" situation.

The Romanian Deadlift is one of those lost gems of powerlifting. You do them, and say "these are great!" But, you just never seem to get back to them. Yet, when you finally do get back to them you are all chuffed again. Does that make sense? Anyway, lower back was pumped up, I remember this happening last year during football season, I lay around all day, no load on the spine then go down and beat the hell out of it. Probablyl not the best thing in the world but what can you do?

Rounded out the workout with Monster Mini Leg Curls and Spread Eagle Sit-Ups, two movements that simply bore the hell of me but need to be done. These are like poor Shemp from the 3 stooges, Shemp never got the credit he was due. Because without this extra work, big squats would not be in my future.

Football Season has begun, my prediction? Patriots vs Seahawks in the Superbowl.



powerlifting


Keep it Dark, Keep it Heavy!!!

No comments: